Library of Things
Based on significant interest expressed in a survey of residents conducted by the Town of Banff, the Town and the Banff Public Library have partnered to pilot an equipment lending program. The Library of Things opened in October 2021.
Banff and Lake Louise residents are able to borrow a variety of items that are rarely used, hard to store, or are expensive, such as tools, cooking appliances and hobby items. It is free to access - all you need is a valid Banff Public Library membership. The Library of Things will be available during regular library hours, Monday – Friday, 10 a.m. – 6 p.m. and Saturday and Sunday, 11 a.m. – 5 p.m.
The Library of Things will help reduce community-wide waste and consumption, and contribute to social inclusion, accessibility, and affordability for members of the community.
The initiative could be expanded in the future with community programming such as training workshops, repair/fix-it sessions, community events (sewing tutorials, vehicle maintenance workshops) and more.
See what's available at the Library of Things
Donation Wish List:
- Hand tools - screwdrivers, pliers, hammers, wrenches etc.
- Power saws - table, jigsaw, etc.
- Power drill and drill bits
- Extension Cords
- Levels small or large
- Rafter and carpenter squares
- C, F, Spring Clamps
- Stud Finder
- Hand saws
- Utility knives
- Spackling knives
- Wire Cutters
- Caulking Gun
- Ratchet straps/moving straps
- Gardening supplies
- Bike repair/maintenance supplies - bike pump etc.
- Angle grinder
- Soldering kit
- Socket set
- Various specialty kitchen items - pasta maker, standing mixer, dehydrator, vacuum seal, juicer
- Rakes, shovels, snow shovels
- Plumbing equipment
Items that cannot be donated:
- Sports equipment with safety features such as climbing gear and mountain sports equipment
- child and infant safety equipment (strollers, carseats etc.)
- Items that can be accessed through local rental stores as these items will not be available to borrow from the library.
- Ski and snowboarding gear
- Backpacking and camping equipment
Donation Acceptance Guidelines:
- Items must fall under one of our wish list categories
- Gas powered tools or items containing hazardous waste will not be accepted
- Item must work, be repairable or have parts that could be used for future repairs
- Items must not be modified or missing key components (safety features, attachments)
- Items must be cleaned and free of dirt/grime or cleaning agents
- Donors must be able to unload and carry item to the drop off point
Please email zero.waste@Banff.ca with any questions regarding items that you would like to donate.
See survey results at Banffviewpoints.ca