Form Centre

By signing in or creating an account, some fields will auto-populate with your information and your submitted forms will be saved and accessible to you.

Film Permit Application

  1. If you wish to use any of Banff's public places to film for commercial purposes, you will need a Film Permit. (Public places include streets, roads, parks, playgrounds, recreational areas, environmental reserves, parking lots and pathways within the town's boundaries.)
  2. Freedom of Information and Privacy

    Personal information gathered in this application is being collected under the Freedom of Information and Privacy Act, Section 33c, and will be used only for the purpose of administrating film permits within the Town of Banff. If there are any inquiries about information collected, please contact the Visitor Event Specialist, Town of Banff, PO Box 1260 Banff Alberta T1L 1C1, 403-762-1221,

  3. Fees

    Commercial Film Permits (still and motion) include an application fee and daily shooting permit fee, based on size of crew and impact. The fees are set in Schedule N of the Town of Banff Fees & Charges Bylaw. Applicants may be required to use "Commercial Filming in Progress" sign stands, available for rental. 

    After receiving the application, the Town will provide information about conditions or additional requirements and how to pay the permit fee by phone or in person at Town Hall.

  4. Applications

    Applications for Film Permits must be received at least 7 days in advance of shooting for small productions and at least 30 days in advance for large productions.

    Film permits will NOT be issued by the Town of Banff for any weekend between the May long weekend and the September long weekend (inclusive), for any production involving any vehicle or pedestrian traffic disruptions or parking disruptions.

  5. I am requesting a film permit for commercial filming within the Town of Banff municipal boundaries.*

    Make sure you understand what locations are inside and what locations are outside the Town site. Check Map.

  6. BYLAW INFORMATION: All producers must abide by Town of Banff Bylaws in their entirety. *
    Bylaws most often applicable to filming are: a) Bylaw 16-4 Traffic Control Bylaw b) Bylaw 124 Streets & Public Place Use Bylaw c) Section 10 of Banff Land Use Bylaw No. 31, which governs Signs
  7. Indicate requested Date (e.g. July 5); Time Period (e.g. 8 am - 9 am); and Specific Location (e.g. Banff Avenue at Caribou Street.) 

  8. Indicate requested Date (e.g. July 5); Time Period (e.g. 9 am - 10 am); and Specific Location (e.g. Bow Falls Viewing Platform.) 

    State "none," if only one location

  9. LOCATION # 1: Please check all that apply*

    *Street Use Permits may be required

  10. LOCATION # 2: Please check all that apply*

    *Street Use Permits may be required

  11. Indicate requested Date (e.g. July 5); Time Period (e.g. 4 - 4:30 pm); and Specific Location (e.g. Bear Street at centre by fireplace.) 

    State "none," if only one location

  12. Indicate requested location (street address/intersection), date, time of day for start-end of shooting. 

    State "none," if only one location

  13. Location # 3: Please check all that apply

    *Street Use Permits may be required

  14. Location # 4: Please check all that apply

    *Street use permits may be required

  15. Use this for ease of identifying multiple locations on each day, and/or multiple days of shooting.

  16. Use of Drones is not allowed in the Town of Banff. Are you planning to use a Drone/Unmanned Aerial Vehicle for filming?*

    Indicate how you plan to inform the residents and businesses of any traffic delays, road closures, or inform pedestrians about commercial filming underway.

  18. Indicate the number of commercial vehicles for the film & where they will be parked - if using pay parking, or available free parking, or requesting reserved parking. Street Use Permits will be required for certain locations. **One vehicle or less, simply state "Not Applicable- one non-commercial vehicle only"

  19. Collection of information: The Town of Banff works collaboratively with other governing organizations such as Parks Canada and Transport Canada on film permitting. The information submitted on this form may be shared with one or both parties. *
  20. Town of Banff requires a certificate of insurance in the amount of $2 million general liability naming "Town of Banff" and "His Majesty the King, in Right of Canada, as represented by the Minister of Environment for the purpose of the Parks Canada Agency" as additional insured.

  21. Occupational Health & Safety information
    For the purposes of the Occupational Health & Safety Act, the sponsoring group is the prime contractor for all areas of Town property used during the event/shoot. The Town of Banff reserves the right to revoke a permit issued for an event/shoot and to cancel an event/shoot for any reason and shall not be responsible for any associated costs or damages.
  22. I confirm the information provided above is true, and can be shared with Town of Banff employees and affiliates for the purpose of assessing this application.*
  23. Please type name here to serve as signature attesting to accuracy of content.

  24. Contact 


  25. Leave This Blank:

  26. This field is not part of the form submission.