Next steps in construction
From March until May, the work will involve:
Download the full construction schedule and the zone map
- Installing the final soil cells and installation of concrete and boulders in the central area
- Building a specialized planter for the Bear Street Mall southwest corner
- Finalizing the tree planting plan
- Building concrete headers underground connections with properties such as the Bison Courtyard and parkade entrances
- Completion of boulder placement and topsoil for all 37 planters, and start of landscaping
- Final work on the trench drain, completing the full north-south drain into which the final road base will drain storm water
Starting in May
, work to complete the road surface will proceed in 4 phases:
- road base grading
- gravel placement
- sand installation and pavers cutting and placement
- polymeric sand to seal the pavers in place
These 4 phases are repeated in 8 zones, starting from the centre of the street, moving outward in each direction to the Wolf and Caribou intersections.
This construction of the road bed and pavers will cause significant disruption to Bear Street tenants. Disruption will involve 1-2 day closures of the front doors of some businesses from April to June for road bed preparation, and 4-5 day closures in May to July for installation of sand and concrete pavers.
90,000 pavers to be placed by hand
Work on road bed and pavers starting in May will involve two teams starting in the central area and one team progresses north towards Wolf Street and the other team progresses south towards Caribou Street.
The work starting in May will involve approximately 90,000 individual pavers placed individually by hand. At 75 square metres per crew, per day, this activity will take almost 65 working days.
Block pavers will be cut to be installed around the perimeter of any of the surface features (trench drain, building edge, manhole covers, valves, streetlights, planters). Pavers will be measured and cut on site with a saw, requiring approximately 10,000 cuts. This stage will be very noisy and dust abatement measures will be implemented.