St. Julien Road Reconstruction - June 16 Update
This week, work on the St. Julien reconstruction was delayed due to heavy rain. Heavy rain can increase hazards with open excavations. Work is also managed to minimize erosion of exposed soil. The crews are working today, starting on the sewer main replacement that was scheduled to start Monday.
Sewer main replacement starts at Wolf Street, and progresses uphill towards Wolverine Street. Sewer main replacement requires bypass pumping. A pump is installed in an upstream manhole and temporary lines above ground carry sewage to a manhole down stream. This allows a section of pipe to be isolated to be ready for replacement. Crews will leap-frog up the road moving the bypass as they proceed.Crews are also conducting pressure testing on recently installed new watermains. Sanitizing and water quality testing follows pressure testing.
Detour around lower Tunnel Mountain Trail
Please completely avoid St. Julien Road, unless you are a resident or visiting a resident on the road.
This week, hikers heading to the Tunnel Mountain Trail are being detoured away from St. Julien Road and the lower trailhead access. The lower trailhead on St. Julien will be completely inaccessible due to excavation and pipe replacement in the area. Hikers will detour to the Ken Madsen Path and around the Banff Centre campus as the only route to the Tunnel Mountain Trail. (See map below)
Most homes on St. Julien Road will have complete closures of driveway access
Scheduled impact on residents for June 17-26
next week. The red phases in the matrix schedule below indicate full-day closures, and the yellow phases indicate intermittent closures that involve constant movement of heavy vehicles and machinery on St. Julien Road
. Residents are asked to be extremely cautious when exiting their properties or entering the site, and to make sure to communicate with workers and flaggers on the site.
This week ahead, the status of resident-only access points
to St. Julien Road:
- St. Julien Way (top of road) access to St. Julien Rd: open access June 17-26
- Wolverine Street entrance to St. Julien: open access June 17-22 and intermittent to June 26
- Wolverine St. back alley: intermittently open June 17-21, closed June 22-26
- Wolf Street entrance to St. Julien: closed access today to June 22, then intermittently open
These homes are scheduled for full-day closures next week
preventing access from St. Julien Road (schedules can change depending on weather):
St. Julien Road is closed to public access by vehicle, bicycle or by foot. St. Julien Road will be closed until October.
- 208, 210, 216, 218, St. Julien Rd, (June 21-24)
- 222, 226 A and B St. Julien (today to Monday)
- 341 Grizzly St and 604 Wolf St (today to Sunday)
- 206 Grizzly Street (June 20-23)
- 220 St. Julien (June 20-23)
- 200 St. Julien and 135 Wolverine (June 24-26)
View and download the UPDATED schedule matrix for impact on individual homes.