Council postponed second reading of Bylaw 359, a land use bylaw amendment in the CA accommodation district, which proposes increasing the allowable gross floor area for convenience store space in service stations from 10% to 70%. Council requested more information on different zoning options, and the bylaw is scheduled to return to council at the July 18 meeting.
Council adopted a sidewalk and maintenance policy to establish standards for repairs and inspections. This policy will set a bi-yearly sidewalk inspection schedule, allowing administration to gauge the condition of sidewalks and budget for maintenance.
Council authorized the continuation of the Banff Access Program, which offers a 50% discount on Town of Banff recreation programs to eligible residents. The program ran as a trial during 2015, with 148 applications processed representing 317 unique users. The intent of the program is to lessen the financial impact of current users, while also drawing in new users by making programming more affordable. Over the course of the one year pilot period, 16% of Banff Access card holders (or 50 people) accessed the child and youth and adult recreation program discounts. The remaining 84% of card holders used it to access other affordability programs, such as regional and local transit, the Santa’s Anonymous program, and the Good Food Box. Of the 50 individuals who received discounts on program registration, 31 were new users. The net cost of the program at the end of the 12 month trial is $2,069.50.
Council repealed three outdated policies no longer in use. The Restriction of FCSS counselling services Policy 026, tent Policy C14, and corporate credit card Policy C092 were all repealed as they are no longer relevant.
Council received an update on the progress the Solar PV Production Incentive program, which was recently awarded an Emerald Award for Innovation from the Alberta Emerald Foundation. The program is the first of its kind in Canada, and encourages property owners to install solar systems and then receive a production-based top-up payment over the next seven years. In 2016, 15 residential applications were received and all were awarded the incentive. In order proceed, all systems must be developed by the end of December.
Council approved the purchase of permanent traffic counters on the Bow River Bridge. The counters, paid for through savings from the road overlay program, will collect an accurate picture of the number of vehicles travelling over the bridge hourly and seasonally.