Banff Recreation Grounds Renewal
The Banff Recreation Grounds Redevelopment Plan (PDF) was adopted by council on March 23, 2015. It is a guiding document that guides the redevelopment at the recreation grounds over 10 years (2015-2025).
Improvements will provide residents and visitors with a mix of new and improved amenities, while supporting increases in visitation to day use facilities. The plan also includes lifecycle maintenance projects.
- Completion and opening of Off-Leash Dog Park
- Dedicated Horse Trail relocated to the south perimeter of the park, in the forested area beside Cave Avenue (Temporary structure for 2022)
- Construction of a Pavilion (indoor and outdoor gathering area, washrooms, showers and kitchenette for community events, user groups and the general public)
- Connect trails to the new Pedestrian Bridge
- Design of an Adventure and Nature Playground
- Installation of water and sewer utilities connecting the northwest corner of the Recreation Grounds to the Town system. Work includes installing pipes under Sundance Road, diagonally between the future location of the pavilion and the greenhouses, and additional fire hydrants.
- Paved trail through the centre of the recreation grounds
- Completion of Pavilion building for recreation users and sports groups
- Informal skating rink
- Adventure and Nature Playground
- South Horse Trail
- New bicycle skills park / pump track
- Toboggan Hill
Each project year may also include smaller projects including signage upgrades, tree planting, natural fitness elements and picnic site improvements.
Click image below to download full PDF of Banff Recreation Grounds Renewal Plan
Recreation Grounds Renewal Investment
- $2.3 million for 2016-20 renewal projects
- $4.2 million for 2021-22 renewal projects
- $3.4 million estimated for 2023-25 renewal projects
- $12.2 million estimated for total 10-year renewal master plan
Government of Alberta contributions to Banff Recreation Grounds Renewal
- $500,000 for 2022 investments from the Municipal Stimulus Program:
- Redeveloped paved central trail
- Realigned and enhanced gravel multi-use trail along north perimeter
- New horse trail located parallel to the Cave Avenue pedestrian trail
- $40,000 in 2018 towards a second community greenhouse
- $100,000 in 2017 towards the creation of the skateboard park
Completed projects as part of the renewal include:
- New off-leash Dog Park (2021)
- Track rehabilitation and expansion of Sports Field (2021)
- New/enhanced irrigation system for Ball Diamonds and Sports Field (2021)
- Rundle Cabin relocation to site, restoration and user group storage (2020)
- South parking lot (2018)
- Ball diamond fencing (2018)
- Addition of second Community Greenhouse (2018)
- Trail to greenhouse (2018)
On May 9, 2022, Banff Town Council approved adjustments in the 2022 budget and project plan.
- The 2022 Recreation Grounds Capital Budget was increased to $4.5 million, from the previously approved $4.2 million for an increase of $291,000, to be fully offset and funded through Capital Grants.
- The Town recently secured a $375,000 grant (final amount could increase) from the Smart, Sustainable, Resilient Infrastructure Association (SSRIA) due to the pavilion’s exemplary environmental design features.
- To avoid the extremely high inflationary cost associated with transportation and the cost of earth fill for creation of the proposed toboggan hill, this component of the recreation grounds renewal was removed from the 2022 plan. The Town will explore options for fill from other construction within the townsite and other regional options for creating a toboggan hill on the site in future years.
- HSS Design Build - multi-purpose pavilion
- Landform Inc. - paving portions of trails
- Guenther's Landscaping - trail work and landscaping
- Pidherney's - civil engineering/utilities work
Sign up for updates on the project