Banff Recreation Grounds Redevelopment
The Banff Recreation Grounds Redevelopment Plan (PDF) was adopted by council on March 23, 2015. It is a guiding document that guides the redevelopment at the recreation grounds over 10 years (2015-2025).
Improvements will provide residents and visitors with a mix of new and improved amenities, while supporting increases in visitation to day use facilities. The plan also includes lifecycle maintenance projects.
Scheduled to Reopen in 2021:
- September 10 – Baseball Diamonds
- September 13 – Picnic area and shelters
- September 23 – Off-Leash Dog Park, partially open, with some areas closed to allow grass seeding and naturalized grasses to establish for summer 2022.
The Sports Field remediation, new irrigation system, and new turf are to be completed in late September, but the field will remain closed to ensure sod establishment for reopening in spring 2022.
Construction and renewal in summer 2021:
- New off-leash Dog Park (fenced on repurposed area of one existing ball diamond - about same size as current Dog Park)
- New/enhanced irrigation system for Ball Diamonds and Sports Field
- Track rehabilitation and expansion of Sports Field
- Protection shelter renovations (wall removal and lifecycle work)
Fall 2021 (pending environmental approval):
- Creation of dedicated horse trail relocated to the south perimeter of the park
- Improvement and realignment of all recreation ground trails
Upcoming Projects in 2022:
- Multi-purpose building/pavilion (change room for recreation users and civic operations storage)
- Toboggan hill
- Informal skating rink
- Basketball court resurfacing
- Complete trail connections to new pedestrian bridge
Subsequent year projects include:
- new bicycle pump track
- children's nature park
Each project year may also include smaller projects including signage upgrades, tree planting, natural fitness elements and picnic site improvements.
Sign up for updates on the project: visit Subscribe for Updates then enter your email and select email or text to register for a "Notify Me" update for Banff Recreation Grounds Renewal Updates.
Click image below to download full PDF of
Banff Recreation Grounds Renewal Plan
The 2021 recreation grounds renewal work represents a $3.2 million investment, including $500,000 from the Government of Alberta to redevelop a central trail, a north perimeter trail, a new horse trail relocated to the south perimeter, and maintenance/servicing trails. Previous provincial investment includes $40,000 towards the addition of a second community greenhouse in 2018 and $100,000 towards the creation of a skateboard park in 2017.
Expenditure in 2016-2020 amounted to $2.3 million. Total spending for 2021-2025 will be approximately $9.9 million. The full funding for this multi-year Recreation Grounds Renewal represents an investment of 12.2 million.
Completed projects as part of the renewal include:
- Picnic table upgrades (2017)
- Creation of Skatepark (2017)
- South parking lot (2018)
- Ball diamond fencing (2018)
- Addition of second Community Greenhouse (2018)
- Trail to greenhouse (2018)
- North playground (2019)
- North parking lot repairs (2019)
- Norquay, Little Bow and Protection shelter repairs (2019)
- Rundle cabin move and restoration and user group storage boxes (2020)
- Design for the sports field, ball diamond irrigation, skatepark and sports field picnic areas and dog park (2020)