Garage and Yard Sales
Please keep in mind the following when you advertise your sale:
- Signs may only be placed 4 hours prior to the sale and must be removed immediately at the conclusion of the sale.
- Signs must indicate the exact address of the sale, the date, the sale is taking place and the hours when the sale is taking place.
- Signs may not be larger than 2 by 3 feet.
- You must not attach a sign to any publicly owned infrastructure. This includes, but is not limited to: light poles, benches, bike racks, trees, fences, garbage bins, public fences and walls, utilities boxes.
- Signs may not be attached to any type of traffic control signs or lights.
- The downtown core and the bridge (Buffalo Street to Cave Avenue) are completely off-limits for the placement of signs. This includes the 100, 200, and 300 blocks of Banff Avenue, the 100 and 200 blocks of Bear Street, Lynx Street from Wolf Street to Buffalo Street, all of Bow Avenue, Buffalo Street from Beaver Street to Bow Avenue, Caribou Street from Beaver Street to Bow Avenue and Wolf Street from Beaver Street to Bow Avenue.
- Signs may not be placed within 10 metres of an intersection, and may not be placed on a roadway centre median.
The Town of Banff will remove all illegally placed signs immediately. Signs that create any public safety concerns and driver distraction will be removed from public property.
In addition to sidewalks, there are certain roads in town where the use of skateboards is prohibited under the Traffic Bylaw. You can review the areas where skateboarding is prohibited with the Skateboard Restricted Areas Map (PDF).