Street and Public Place Use Permit
What needs a Street and Public Place Use Permit?
Street and Public Place Use Permits are needed any time you’re obstructing the normal use of the street or public place. This includes:
- Road, lane, parking stall or sidewalk closures
- Parking of any vehicle for longer than the posted limit
- Placement of building materials, tools or machinery on the street
- Stationing a mobile crane or building construction machine
- Loading or unloading material, machinery, or equipment
- Placement of a construction waste bin
- Erection of scaffolding
- Excavation on a public space
- Commercial Filming
- Special Events
- Installation of Sidewalk Seating
- Installation of an Outdoor Merchandise Display
Street and Public Place Use Permits for construction work are issued by the Engineering Department. For other activities, see the links above for contact information.
Before you apply for a street use permit:
- Plan ahead. A permit application takes from two to 10 days for review and approval.
- Commercial contractors must have a Town of Banff Business License.
- See the FAQs below.
Applications must include:
- Name, address and contact information of the applicant.
- Description of the work and a Traffic Management Plan (sketch or map showing how pedestrian and vehicular traffic will be safely controlled around the work site).
- Proof of general liability insurance.
Permit applicants are responsible for:
- Paying permit fees before the work start date. Permits are not valid until payment has been received.
- Supplying all signage, barricades and devices necessary to implement the Traffic Management Plans (including “No Parking” signage with date and permit number, placed 72 hours in advance for residential zones).
- Notification in advance to all residents, businesses and property owners who may be affected by any street closures.
Permit Application Form:
Submit Application to:
- What do I do with my permit?
- I would like to plan a Special Event in Banff. Where do I start?
- I would like to apply for a Sidewalk Seating or Outdoor Merchandise Display permit. Who should I contact?
- What do I need for busking in Banff?
- My moving truck is coming. How can I reserve parking space in front of my residence?
- What are the requirements for cranes?