Street and Public Place Use Permit

What needs a Street and Public Place Use Permit?

Street and Public Place Use Permits are needed any time you’re obstructing the normal use of the street or public place. This includes:

Street and Public Place Use Permits for construction work are issued by the Engineering Department. For other activities, see the links above for contact information. 

Sidewalk Closure

Before you apply for a street use permit:

  • Plan ahead. A permit application takes from two to 10 days for review and approval.
  • Commercial contractors must have a Town of Banff Business License.
  • See the FAQs below.

 Applications must include:

  • Name, address and contact information of the applicant.
  • Description of the work and a Traffic Management Plan (sketch or map showing how pedestrian and vehicular traffic will be safely controlled around the work site).
  • Proof of general liability insurance.

Permit applicants are responsible for: 

  • Paying permit fees before the work start date. Permits are not valid until payment has been received. 
  • Supplying all signage, barricades and devices necessary to implement the Traffic Management Plans (including “No Parking” signage with date and permit number, placed 72 hours in advance for residential zones). 
  • Notification in advance to all residents, businesses and property owners who may be affected by any street closures. 

Permit Application Form:

Submit Application to: