Council policies mandate various functions and services of the Town of Banff and where necessary, establish the procedure by which the functions are performed, and services are delivered. Please email the Municipal Clerk any questions regarding the Council policies.
- Municipal Policy Handbook (updated Aug. 12, 2019)
Municipal Governance & Administration
- Municipal Policy Development Policy C1000 (PDF)
Establishes a consistent approach and philosophy for the development and approval of Town of Banff policies.
- Flag Protocol Policy C1001 (PDF)Protocol for flying municipal flags at half-mast.
- Non-Proclamation Policy C1002 (PDF)
Standard for formal council endorsement of events, messages, interests or activities.
- Corporate Gifts from the Town of Banff Policy C1003 (PDF)
Provides guidelines for corporate gift giving by defining when a gift is appropriate and/or desirable, by providing recommended price ranges for gifts given in various circumstances, and by providing criteria to ensure gifts are consistently identified as being from the Town of Banff.
- Signing Authority Policy C1004 (PDF)
Clarification of roles, responsibilities and signing authority for cheques, agreements, other negotiable instruments and other municipal documents.
- Council Remuneration Policy C1005 (PDF)
Guidelines for the remuneration and benefits available to a member of council and expenses that will be assumed by the municipality when carrying out their official duties.
Parameters on the acceptance of gifts by council members.
- Council Member Appointments to Committees Policy Policy C1007 (PDF)
This policy conveys Council’s preferred process for appointing Council members to committees.
- Committee Appointments Policy C019-1 (PDF)
Procedures for committee membership application, appointment, operation and member recognition.
- Sponsorship Policy C120 (PDF)
Creating an authorized environment for entering into sponsorship agreement and partnership.
HR & Employees
- Administration of Employee Housing Policy C2000 (PDF)
Process for the administration, inventory control, maintenance and rental rate review that supports recruitment and retention of employees at the Town of Banff.
- Employee Compensation and Benefits Policy C2001
Establishes a consistent process for the administration and allocation of compensation and benefits costs, while supporting recruitment and retention of employees.
- Housing Incentive Purchase Program Policy C2003 (PDF)
Establishes a local, first-time housing purchase incentive for Town of Banff employees.
- Travel Expenses Policy C2002 (PDF)
Guidelines for employees and council members authorized to travel on Town of Banff business.
- Communication Policy C116 (PDF)
This policy governs the approach by the Town of Banff – employees and council – to all its communication functions.
Municipal Planning & Development
- Accessory Dwellings Policy C111 (PDF)
Guidelines for enhancing the supply and mix of affordable housing options.
- Housing Policy C012 (PDF)
Guiding principles and procedures to encourage the creation of affordable housing for residents of Banff, particularly with respect to commercial development.
- Parking Cash-in-Lieu Policy C017 (PDF)
Standards for calculation of cash-in-lieu for parking requirements for renovation, redevelopment and development.
- Environmental Stewardship Policy C093 (PDF)
Adoption of the Environmental Stewardship Policy for the Town of Banff.
- Construction Site Hoarding Policy C3000 (PDF)
The purpose of this policy is to assist property owners and lessees, builders, developers and general contractors in understanding the expectations of the Town of Banff regarding the appearance of construction site hoarding.
- Payment Acceptance Policy C4000
Provides directions on the forms of payments accepted by the Town and set limits by payment type.
- Property Licensing and Leasing Policy C4003 (PDF)
This policy is intended to provide consistent and transparent guidelines to be followed by employees when leasing or licensing Town-owned Property.
- Tangible Capital Assets Policy C4004 (PDF)
The purpose of this policy is to promote sound corporate management of capital assets and compliance with the Public Sector Accounting Board.
- Community Grants Policy C4005 (PDF)
This policy is established to direct a process for the annual distribution of funds to not-for-profit societies, community organizations or groups of individuals.
- Purchasing Policy C099 (PDF)
Guidelines for municipal purchasing of goods & services.
- Revenue Leasing and Licensing Policy C117 (PDF)
Guidelines to be followed by employees when leasing or licensing Town-owned property.
Public Places & Events
- Parade Policy C5000 (PDF)
Guidelines for safety of parade participants and audience.
- Festivals and Special Event Policy C5001 (PDF)
Guidelines for the standards, frequency, and expectations for festivals and events in Banff.
- Banff Bench Program Policy C5002 (PDF)
Guidelines for the consistent decision making process related to the acceptance, placement and long-term maintenance of bench donations and dedications in Town owned public places.
- Heritage Resource Policy C5003 (PDF)
A strategic framework to support the preservation and commemoration of heritage sites in Banff.
- Seasonal Winter Lighting Policy C5004 (PDF)
The Town of Banff will provide seasonal winter lighting that enhances the resident and visitor nighttime experience in the darker winter months while respecting the environmental and economic objectives of the Banff Community Plan.
- Banff Commemorative Tree Program Policy C5005 (PDF)
Establishes guidelines for decisions related to the acceptance, placement and maintenance of trees and dedications in Town owned Public Places.
- Outdoor Merchandise Display Policy C121 (PDF)
Guidelines for the minimum design standard and approval process for outdoor merchandise display areas.
- Public Art Policy C103 (PDF)
Procedures to site, acquire, commission and facilitate art for public spaces.
- Street Pole and Banner Policy C101 (PDF)
Guidelines for design, approval, installation and maintenance of street pole banners.
Fleet, Equipment & Materials Management
- Green Fleet Policy C6000 (PDF)
Establishes guidelines to reduce the fuel consumption of the fleet.
- Establishes guidelines the disposal of surplus or obsolete Fixed Assets.
Municipal Infrastructure, Facilities & Property Management & Use
- Snow and Ice Management Policy C108-1 (PDF)
Priorities and levels of service for sanding, plowing and snow removal.
- Municipal Sustainable Building Policy C106 (PDF)
Standards for design, construction and operation of municipal buildings.
- Street Lighting Policy C119 (PDF)
Establishment of an overall lighting plan for the Town, including performance standards and general design standards for new lighting equipment.
- Naming of Parks and Recreation Facilities Policy C013 (PDF)
Criteria and process for naming parks and recreation facilities.
- Pets on Municipal Property Policy C7000 (PDF)
Clarifies under what conditions dogs or other pets may be allowed in municipal buildings and facilities.
- Sidewalk Inspection and Repair Policy C7001 (PDF)
Establishes priorities and levels of service for sidewalk inspection and repair.
- Trails Lighting Policy C7002 (PDF)
Establishes standards for the lighting of trails in the Town of Banff
- Public Use of Municipal Facilities Policy C7003 (PDF)
Ensures that Town facilities are operated in a fiscally responsible manner and ensures that the allocation of the facilities is done in a fair and equitable manner.
- Sidewalk Seating/Cafe Policy C7005 (PDF)
Guidelines for the design standards and approval process for the development of and operation of sidewalk seating/cafe areas.
Information Infrastructure, Governance & Management
- Body Worn Cameras Policy C8000 (PDF)
Guides employees in the use of body worn cameras in a way that balances the maximum benefits of the technology without compromising the privacy rights of the public and employees.
- Information Governance and Records Management Program Policy C8001 (PDF)
The purpose of this policy is to define the Town of Banff’s information governance and records management commitments, responsibilities and authorities.
- Video Recording and Live Streaming of Council Meetings Policy C8002 (PDF)
This policy will provide guidelines for the live streaming and management of video recordings ofCouncil meetings.
Quality Management Plans
- Fire Discipline Uniform Quality Management Plan Policy C105 (PDF)
Administration of the Safety Codes Act – Fire Discipline.
- Quality Management Plan Policy C082 (PDF)
Administration of the Safety Codes Act – Building Discipline Street and Public Place Use.