Development Permits & Applications
To construct a new building, renovate an existing building or change the use (or intensity of use) of a property, you need a development permit.
- Area Redevelopment Plan (PDF)
- Bed and Breakfast Application (PDF)
- Change of Use or Intensification of Use Application (PDF)
- Change of Use Storefront Cannabis Retail (PDF)
- Commercial Development Allotment Application (PDF)
- Commercial Development Allotment Transfer Application (PDF)
- Commercial, Mixed-Use and Institutional Project Application (PDF)
- Demolition Permit Application (PDF) – Pre-Demolition Recording Sheet (PDF)
- Home Occupation Application (PDF)
- Land Use Bylaw Text Amendments Application (PDF)
- Residential Projects Application (PDF)
- Sidewalk Seating/Cafe Permit Application
- Sign Permit Application (PDF)
- Subdivision Application (PDF)
- Transportation Services (PDF)
- Tree Cutting Permit Application (PDF)
All applications are PDFs. Email Kerry MacInnis completed applications.
Development Process and Fees
The approving authority for development permits is either the Development Officer or the Municipal Planning Commission, depending on the scale and sensitivity of the proposed development. The applicant is required to post a notification sign on the site that is the subject of the application. Notification of Requirements for Development Permit Applications (PDF)
Decisions on development permits may be appealed to the Development Appeal Board. Appeals must be made in writing within 14 days of an issuance of a decision, or in the case of a subdivision, within 30 calendar days. Other conditions apply.
All developments – minor or major – must appropriately manage and dispose of construction waste. The Town of Banff has partnered with the Bow Valley Waste Commission to create financial incentives to encourage developers to properly manage reusable waste materials. For more information, please consult Your How-to Guide for Construction Waste Management (PDF)
Home Occupations & Bed & Breakfasts
Development Permits must be renewed every year for Home Occupations (home-based businesses) and for Bed & Breakfast operations. This is to ensure operators remain in compliance with the regulations in the Land Use Bylaw and the original conditions of approval, without adversely affecting neighbours.
If you are a permit holder, your renewal notices and forms will be mailed to you. If you have not received your renewal notice, please contact Planning and Development as soon as possible.
If you are a neighbouring property owner with concerns regarding an adjacent home occupation or bed and breakfast operation, please submit your comments or concerns in writing to:
Town of Banff
Planning and Development
110 Bear Street, Box 1260
Banff AB, T1L 1A1
When a Permit is Not Required
Development permits are not required for routine maintenance and repair work, mechanical and electrical work, or repainting a building or sign to the same colour or finish. Contact the Planning & Development department to confirm whether you need a development permit.
View a list of the Town of Banff's Common Business Licenses and Development Permits and download associated forms or applications.
Development Permit Viewer
The Development Permit Viewer is currently offline. Please contact Planning & Development at 403.762.1215 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more info.