Cemeteries & Burials
Banff has two cemeteries:
- The Old Banff Cemetery (Interactive Map) on Buffalo Street no longer offers plots or graves for purchase. Learn more about it’s history at The Old Banff Cemetery
- Mountainview Cemetery (PDF) at the east highway entrance to town has plots available.
Eligibility for burial in Mountainview Cemetery:
- The deceased must meet one of the following requirements:
- Was a permanent resident of Banff at the time of passing
- Had been a previous resident of Banff National Park for 25 years or more
- Have an immediate next-of-kin already buried in the plot
- Plots or graves may not be pre-purchased; they may only be purchased at the time of passing
- In certain circumstances, most commonly when the deceased has been pre-deceased by a family member, a plot or grave may already be owned, in which case, proof of ownership is required
How is a burial arranged?
- The next-of-kin or personal representative of the deceased must complete a burial application, a monument application and a statutory declaration. Include special requests or arrangements with the burial application.
- Forward completed applications to the Town of Banff Operations at 120 Hawk Avenue or fax to 403.762.1263 or email to Operations
- Applications must be received three business days prior to the interment.
- An invoice for the plot or grave, interment services and monument application will be sent to the applicant following the burial.
Other things to know:
- Funeral processions must reach the cemetery by 3 p.m. on the day of the burial.
- Burials are not usually held on Sundays or statutory holidays, but alternate arrangements may be made with the Town of Banff and may involve additional fees.
- The applicant is responsible for purchase of a mandatory grave vault from a funeral home for any full burial.
- On the day of the burial, Town of Banff staff will prepare the plot/grave and direct the family or representative to the grave or plot site.
- Once the private service has concluded and the urn or casket has been placed in the ground, town staff will return to close the grave.
- Cemeteries Bylaw 39-1 (PDF)
- Should you wish to dedicate a bench in memory of a loved one, see the Banff Bench Program for details.