Each year, as a part of the budget process, council reviews the programs and services that the municipality provides. This process confirms the level of service for each program and the associated budget estimates. During Service Review, potential new projects, programs or service levels are identified and debated. Service Review is held during Governance and Finance Committee meetings. All meetings are open to the public.
Following completion of Service Review, Town Council is ready to finalize the budget for the year ahead, which affects the property tax rate set in the spring.
Public input is welcome at the beginning of each day on the topics for that day.
Speak to Council: Please contact the Municipal Clerk at Municipal.Clerk@banff.ca or by calling 403-762-1209 to confirm your intent to speak at one of the dates below. The schedule below is tentative and subject to change. Contact with the Clerk will ensure presentations are scheduled for the correct topic. Items listed on this tentative schedule will not occur prior to the listed date.
Write to Council: Banff residents are invited to submit input to Council about specific topics by email if sent at least one business day before the date the topic is scheduled for review (list below). Email the email@example.com with clear indication of the topic or service area.
Public submission requests will not be accepted nor included on the Agenda for Items that have already been dealt with.
All emailed or written submissions received by deadline will be added to the Agenda of the Governance & Finance Committee Meeting on the designated date for the topic (listed below).
Visit and download Agendas for Service Review.
(Updated at the end of each day of deliberations)
Tentative Schedule for 2023 Service Review
(Schedule and topics subject to change.)
Tuesday, November 22 - Service Review documents published
- Banff residents invited to provide input, Town releases Tax impact estimate of recovery budget (Link to news release)
Wednesday, November 30 (9 a.m. – 5 p.m.)
- 2023 Budget Summary (PDF)
- Introduction to Service Review
- Capital Budget
- Governance (PDF)
- Corporate Services/IT / GIS (PDF)
- Other (Council Initiatives and Library) (PDF)
Monday, December 5 (9 a.m. – 5 p.m.)
Wednesday, December 7 (9 a.m. – 5 p.m.)
- Health and Safety (PDF)
- Fleet (PDF)
Friday, December 9 (9 a.m. – 5 p.m.)
- Facilities (PDF)
- Water Services (PDF)
- Resource Recovery (PDF)
- Engineering (PDF)
- Transit (PDF)
Monday, December 12 (9 a.m. – 1 p.m.)
- Fire Dept. (PDF)
- Municipal Enforcement (PDF)
- Police (PDF)
Wednesday, December 14 (9 a.m. – 5 p.m.)
- Planning and Development (PDF)
- Communications (PDF)
- Community and Recreation Services (PDF)
- Human Resources (PDF)
Friday, December 16 (9 a.m. – 5 p.m.)
- Finish Service Review
Mon., December 19 (9 a.m. – 1 p.m.)
- Finish Service Review
Monday, January 9 (9 a.m. – noon)
Wednesday, January 11 (9 a.m. – 5 p.m.)
Wednesday, January 18 (9 a.m. – 5 p.m.)
- If needed
Previous Years Service Review and Budget Presentations
- 2022 Council Handbook on Budget (PDF)
- 2022 Combined Service Review Document (PDF)
- 2021 Service Review Document (PDF)
- 2020 Service Review Document (PDF)
- 2019 Service Review Document (PDF)
- 2018 to 2020 Operating Budget (PDF)
- 2018 to 2027 Capital Budget (PDF)
- 2017 to 2019 Operating Budget (PDF)
- 2017 to 2026 Capital Budget (PDF)
- 2018 Service Review (PDF)
- 2017 Service Review (PDF)
- 2016 Service Review (PDF)
- 2016 to 2018 Operating Budget (PDF)
- 2016 to 2025 Capital Budget (PDF)
- 2015 to 2016 Capital Budget (PDF)
- 2015 to 2017 Operating Budget (PDF)