Settlement Services in the Bow Valley
Settlement Services in the Bow Valley – a program through the Town of Banff, in partnership with the Town of Canmore, Canadian Rockies Public Schools and Our Lady of the Snows Catholic Academy – is funded by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada. All services are free and confidential.
Our services support Permanent Residents, Live-in Caregivers, Refugees and Temporary Foreign Workers transitioning to permanent status who are living in the Bow Valley – Banff, Canmore, Lake Louise and Kananaskis – no matter the length of time living in Canada.
Our Settlement Services will work with you to identify your settlement needs, and help you use your strengths and resources to achieve you and your family's settlement goals.
Employment Insurance: What you need to know
Thursday, October 18
Presented by Service Canada
- Recent updates about Employment Insurance (EI)
- How to apply online for EI
- How to complete EI bi-weekly reports
- Common mistakes and confusing questions on the application and reports
Stay connected with Settlement Services workshops, community events, volunteer opportunities, current immigration news and more through our Facebook Page. You don't need to have a Facebook account to view this information. We post on Facebook regularly to keep you updated.
We also hold monthly workshops on a variety of topics, including: Living in Canada as a Permanent Resident, Canadian Citizenship, School Orientation, Cross-Cultural Awareness, Money Management and more. Visit our calendar for more information.
What does the program offer?
Individual appointments and group sessions
- Permanent Resident responsibilities and benefits
- Family reunification, language learning, housing, citizenship, health, career, finances, cultural training and more
- Connection to community and resources
- Questions about living in Canada
- Planning before family arrival to Canada
- Required Schooling in Canada Parent Orientation
- Ongoing school support and programs for parents, students and school staff
- Support to organizations, agencies, and employers working with immigrants
Passport to Settlement in Canada
Meet with Settlement Services and receive your own Passport to Settlement in Canada. The passport will guide you through important steps to adjust to life in Canada, reach your settlement goals and achieve success. You will complete important tasks, network and learn more about your community. Win prizes along the way and celebrate the completion of your passport at a special community event.
How will you benefit? Read what our clients are saying:
"Our family will be forever grateful to you and to the whole staff. Starting our life here in Canada would not be possible without the help of your kind staff."
"We should be the ones thanking you for all the dedication and hard work you put in helping us integrate into the Canadian society. This is the only way we can achieve harmony and success in the community and create an opportunity that will benefit everyone. Thank you for your tireless efforts and I do hope you continue your support in improving the lives of all immigrants in the Bow Valley Corridor."
Why is this important?
- Our team is here to support the integration into all aspects of community life – economically, socially, and culturally
- Information is power, and having the knowledge of local resources and programs will enable you to move towards achieving your individual and family goals
Where is the program located?
Our main office is located at Banff Town Hall. Appointments available upon request at various Bow Valley locations.
- Affordable Housing (PDF)
- Stay Healthy - Guide to Health Care in the Bow Valley (PDF)
- Summer Activities for Kids (PDF)
- Learn English Guide (PDF)
- Learn English Program Details (PDF)
- Parenting Tips (PDF)
Information for employers and agencies: Settlement Services can help you support immigrants who you work with in many ways. We can offer on-site information sessions on a variety of topics, including Cross Cultural Training and Permanent Resident Orientations. Please help us connect to the immigrants who are living in our community by completing this referral form.
If you are new to the Bow Valley (Banff, Canmore, Lake Louise or Kananaskis), Community Connections in the Bow Valley is here to help! Get matched with a Volunteer Connector or Connector Family who will help you get connected.
For information and support on Temporary Foreign Workers in the Bow Valley, please visit: Temporary Foreign Workers.
Please book an appointment as we cannot accommodate drop in meetings.