In May of 2022, town council passed a resolution to actively support, promote and work towards becoming an age-friendly community. The goal is to promote active living for seniors by providing community supports that enable continued independence.
To achieve this, the Town of Banff is seeking Age-Friendly Community Designation from the provincial government. An age-friendly designation promotes healthy and active aging in our community, and provides access supports and services.
Age-friendly is the idea of making structures and services more accessible and inclusive for seniors with varying needs and capacities. This helps strengthen communities, improve businesses, and make life better for all residents.
The Town of Banff is working on completing an age-friendly community profile and assessment of services for older adults 55+.
The age-friendly assessment will include:
- an inventory of the services, programs and initiatives that already exist in the community
- consideration of how existing assets can be expanded and modified
- identification of opportunities for improving age-friendliness in the community
- a baseline/timeline for measuring progress and setting priorities for action
Through this process, the Town of Banff will:
- Work with the recently created Age Friendly Committee on this initiative
- Complete an age-friendly community profile and assessment of Banff using the provincial resource materials
- Return to Council with the findings of the assessment and recommended community action plan
Join the Committee/Volunteer
Contact Sharon Phillips (Chair of the Age Friendly Committee)
Contact Shawn Carr Manager FCSS & Social Programs (Town of Banff representative on the Age friendly Committee)