- Community Services
- Age-Friendly Community
In May of 2022, town council passed a resolution to actively support, promote and work towards becoming an age-friendly community. 'Age-friendly' is the idea of making structures and services more accessible and inclusive for seniors with varying needs and capacities.
To achieve this, the Town of Banff is seeking Age-Friendly Community Designation from the provincial government. An age-friendly designation promotes healthy and active aging in our community, and provides access supports and services.
Age-friendly qualities would help strengthen the community, improve businesses, and make life better for all residents.
The Town of Banff is working on completing an age-friendly community profile and assessment of services and infrastructure for adults 55 years old and older.
The Community Profile includes areas identified in the Age-Friendly Checklist (PDF) of our community and assessing where we could improve programs, services, and community infrastructure
One of the ways the Town is assessing how we can improve is by asking for public input.
Workshops to identify gaps in Banff
The Town of Banff is hosting two identical sessions to review eight areas in the Age-Friendly Checklist to compile feedback from residents and stakeholders about gaps in our community. The town is inviting residents 55+ to these sessions:
- Tuesday, November 8, 12 - 2 p.m. (lunch provided)
- Tuesday, November 15, 12 - 2 p.m. (lunch provided)
Please register for either session by emailing Community.email@example.com or calling 403.762.1251.
8 key areas for reviewing Banff's age friendliness:
- outdoor spaces and buildings
- social participation
- respect and social inclusion
- civic participation and employment
- communication and information
- community support and health services
Age-friendly Assessment and Action Plan
The age-friendly assessment will include:
- an inventory of the services, programs and initiatives that already exist in the community
- consideration of how existing assets can be expanded and modified
- identification of opportunities for improving age-friendliness in the community
Through this process, the Town of Banff will:
- Work with the recently created Age Friendly Committee on this initiative
- Complete an age-friendly community profile and assessment of Banff using the provincial resource materials
- Return to Council with a community profile and findings from the stakeholder engagement. This report will help to form the basis of an Age Friendly Action Plan.
Join the Committee/Volunteer
The Age Friendly Committee will be asked to help guide the process for engaging our community and the steps to become more ager friendly.
To join the committee, please contact Sharon Phillips (Chair of the Age Friendly Committee) by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Alternative Contact: Shawn Carr Manager FCSS & Social Programs (Town of Banff representative on the Age friendly Committee)