Support Services For Residents

Updated 8:37 a.m. September 22, 2020

In an effort to contain the COVID-19 spread and protect the health, safety and well-being of residents and visitors to the Town of Banff, non-medical masks will be mandatory within enclosed public spaces as well as within the Town’s pedestrian zone of the 100 and 200 Blocks of Banff Avenue and Caribou Street, the 200 block of Bear Street and parts of Wolf Street.

More Info:

For Local Updates and COVID info visit

We Are Here to Help

This page has emergency social service resources that are available to Banff, Lake Louise and ID9 residents, including Permanent Residents, Temporary Foreign Workers and Refugees during the COVID-19 pandemic.

The Emergency Social Services team is available 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, to help answer questions relating to mental health, employment insurance, meal and grocery services, housing, issues related to immigration, child and youth care information and more.  After hours, you can contact 2-1-1 for resources and information.

Email us at 

Health information (PDFs):

Please also see the links below for referral information for local, provincial and federal resources that may be of assistance.   

For Town updates on the COVID-19 pandemic please visit For health-related information (i.e., if you think you may be experiencing symptoms) visit

Foreign Governments 

Here are links to government messages available for UK citizens and Australians travelling or living abroad:

Essential Services 

Information and resources from all levels of government – federal, provincial and municipal – to a help assist with basic needs for individuals and families.


For non-emergency contact with the Banff police service, such as international assistance to find foreign nationals in the town of Banff, please email or call +1 403-763-6600.


If there are situations or gatherings happening where physical distancing is not being enforced – such as in a business, in a house or at a park – people can contact Alberta Health Services or the Town of Banff using these online complaint forms:

For an immediate response, the Town of Banff accepts calls at 403.762.1218 between 8 a.m. and 6 p.m. After hours, please call the RCMP at 403.762.2226.

Primary Care Network

Please be aware that all family physician offices in the Bow Valley continue to remain open and available to patients. Please call to make appointments. Given the COVID-19 pandemic, and advice from the Medical Officer of Health in Alberta, appointments will be by telephone or virtual, rather than in person.

After screening for COVID-19 symptoms, reception staff have been directed to book virtual appointments. Then, if warranted, in-person appointments may be booked after consulting with you family doctor, almost always the same day. Physicians who are accepting new patients continue to do so.

We encourage patients to maintain continuity of care by calling their family doctor’s office for their usual care, even for prescription refills.

The family physicians in the Bow Valley remain open and operational to their patients. Please feel free to call them and book an appointment, as usual.

Transfer Site
The operations yard Transfer Site is open 7 days a week from 7:30 a.m. to 3:15 p.m. 

Federal Financial Supports

Canadians with disabilities will be sent a one-time tax-free payment of up to $600 to help offset the financial pressures of the COVID-19 pandemic. This new financial aid will go to all who are eligible for the Disability Tax Credit, as of June 1. Eligible recipients of the new one-time payments will not need to apply.

The Canada Emergency Student Benefit (CESB) provides support to students and new graduates who are not eligible for the Canada Emergency Response Benefit or Employment Insurance or who are unable to work due to COVID-19. This benefit provides $1,250 per month for eligible students or $2,000 per month for eligible students with dependents or disabilities.

Applications open for the Canada Emergency Student Benefit starting Friday, May 15, 2020. To prepare to apply, post-secondary students and new graduates are encouraged to preemptively create an account with the Canada Revenue Agency. This benefit will be available from May to August 2020.

Final eligibility period is Aug 2-29 and applications due no later than September 30.

Applications are open for the Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB). The CERB provides $2,000 per month for up to four months to workers who have lost or reduced their income due to the COVID-19 outbreak. The benefit is available to workers:

  • Residing in Canada, who are at least 15 years old;
  • Who have stopped working because of reasons related to COVID-19 or are eligible for Employment Insurance regular or sickness benefits or have exhausted their Employment Insurance regular benefits between December 29, 2019 and October 3, 2020;
  • Who had employment and/or self-employment income of at least $5,000 in 2019 or in the 12 months prior to the date of their application; and,
  • Who have not quit their job voluntarily.

When submitting your first claim, you cannot have earned more than $1,000 in employment and/or self-employment income for 14 or more consecutive days within the four-week benefit period of your claim.

 When submitting subsequent claims, you cannot have earned more than $1,000 in employment and/or self-employment income for the entire four-week benefit period of your new claim.

Applications are accepted based on the birth month of Canadians. Learn more and submit your application.

The Benefit is only available to individuals who stopped or reduced work for reasons related to COVID-19. To be eligible for the CERB, you must reside in Canada and have a valid Social Insurance Number.

Eligibility: To be eligible for the CERB, you must reside in Canada and have a valid Social Insurance Number.

Workers who are not Canadian citizens or permanent residents – including temporary foreign workers and international students – may be eligible to receive the Benefit if they meet the other eligibility requirements.

Note: You cannot be paid Employment Insurance benefits and the CERB for the same period.

Canadians will receive CERB payments within 10 days of application. 

You may want to return or repay the CERB if you:

  • return to work earlier than expected
  • applied for CERB but later realize you’re not eligible

You have the option to return or repay your CERB payment now. Direct Desposit - in CRA account. Make payment out to: "Receiver General for Canada" indicate it is for "Repayment of CERB" include your Social Insurance Number (SIN) or your Temporary Tax Number (TTN)

Mail your payment to:
Revenue Processing – Repayment of CERB
Sudbury Tax Centre
1050 Notre Dame Avenue
Sudbury ON P3A 0C1

Temporary Wage Top-up for Essential Workers  
We will work with provinces and territories through a new transfer to cost-share a temporary top up to the salaries of low-income workers (those who earn less than $2,500 per month on a full time basis), that the provinces and territories have deemed essential in the fight against COVID-19.

Employment Insurance General  


For those who do qualify regular benefits are available to people who have lost jobs due to no fault of their own including mass lay-offs and were working in insurable employment.

Individuals should apply as soon as you stop working, even if you have not yet received your Record of Employment (ROE)

55 per cent of your earnings up to a maximum of $573 a week.

You can receive EI from 14 weeks up to a maximum of 45 weeks, depending on the time of filing your claim and the amount of insurable hours you have accumulated in the last 52 weeks or since your last claim, whichever is shorter.

If you delay filing your claim for benefits for more than four weeks after your last day of work, you may lose benefits.

At present, need to have been without work for seven consecutive days before you are eligible/receive benefits (e.g., one week waiting period). Does not look, at this point, as though that one week has been waived. 

To find out if you are eligible to receive EI regular benefits, you must submit an application online. It will take about 60 minutes to complete the online application.

The website takes you step by step through the application process, and provides detailed instructions on how to complete the form.

Apply here:

Employment Insurance Sick Benefits 


If you have a new Regular or Sickness EI claim starting March 15, 2020 or after, your benefits will be delivered as part of the Government of Canada’s Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB). See details.

If you have recently applied for EI regular or sickness benefits, do not re-apply. Your application will automatically be assessed to determine if you are eligible for the CERB.


For over 3.5 million families with children, the Government is proposing to increase the maximum annual Canada Child Benefit (CCB) payment amounts for the 2019-20 benefit year, by $300 per child. The overall increase for families receiving CCB will be approximately $550 on average; these families will receive an extra $300 per child as part of their May payment. In total, this measure will deliver almost $2 billion in extra support.

If you have previously applied for the CCB, you do not need to re-apply.

For more information on the Canada Child Benefit such as how to apply and eligibility requirements, go to Canada child benefit or call 1-800-387-1193.

EI Update for Pregnant Women

The government is implementing a fix on May 8 so pregnant women can receive the CERB benefit amount ($500/week). Pregnant women who haven’t received the CERB will begin to receive backdated payments. Those who received less than $500 per week in EI benefits will receive a retroactive top up. Pregnant women who received EI won’t have those weeks docked from their maternity and parental leave entitlements, meaning they won’t have to return to work months before their infant is a year old.


Banks in Canada have affirmed their commitment to working with customers to provide flexible solutions, on a case-by-case basis, for managing through hardships caused by recent developments. This may include situations such as pay disruption, childcare disruption, or illness. Canada’s large banks have confirmed that this support will include up to a 6-month payment deferral for mortgages, and the opportunity for relief on other credit products. 

The Government, through Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC), is providing increased flexibility for homeowners facing financial difficulties to defer mortgage payments on homeowner CMHC-insured mortgage loans. CMHC will permit lenders to allow payment deferral beginning immediately.

COVID Financial support for Low Income Families 

The Government will provide a one-time special payment on April 9, 2020 through the Goods and Services Tax credit (GSTC). This will double the maximum annual GSTC payment amounts for the 2019-20 benefit year. The average boost to income for those benefitting from this measure will be close to $400 for single individuals and close to $600 for couples. This measure will inject $5.5 billion into the economy.

Additional COVID Financial support for Low Income Families 

For  families with children who may also require additional support, the Government is proposing to increase the maximum annual Canada Child Benefit (CCB) payment amounts, only for the 2019-20 benefit year, by $300 per child. The overall increase for families receiving CCB will be approximately $550 on average; these families will receive an extra $300 per child as part of their May payment. In total, this measure will deliver almost $2 billion in extra support.

Information about financial support for the foreign workers is available here

Collections activities on new debts will be suspended until further notice, and flexible payment arrangements will be available.

If an individual requires assistance with one of our critical services and benefits they can complete a service request form at:

Once the service request is submitted, a Service Canada representative will contact the individual within 2 business days at the phone number they indicate.

If you do not have access to the internet or face other barriers, a Service Canada Outreach Support Centre will ensure they get access to the critical benefits they need.  The outreach support center can be accessed by calling 1-877-631-2657.  Outreach workers are available to assist from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday to Friday.

Alberta Income Support

Changes to Employment Standards

  • The amendments, which are set out in the Canada Labour Standards Regulations, temporarily extend these time periods by up to six months:
    • For employees laid off prior to March 31, 2020, the time period is extended by six months or to December 30, 2020, whichever occurs first.
    • For employees laid off between March 31, 2020, and September 30, 2020, the time period is extended until December 30, 2020, unless a later recall date was provided in a written notice at the time of the layoff.
    • These changes, which came into effect on June 22, 2020, do not apply to employees who are covered by a collective agreement that contains recall rights.
    • These changes also do not apply to employees whose employment had already been terminated prior to the coming into force of the amendments. The previous rules will apply to layoffs occurring after September 30, 2020.

Information for Renters

  • Scheduled rent increases may now take effect, provided proper notice has been given to tenants.
    • They were not permitted during the state of public health emergency, and cannot be collected retroactively.
  • Late fees that are a reasonable estimate of the landlord’s losses can now be applied to late rental payments, if set-out in the rental agreement.
    • Late fees were not permitted from April through June and cannot be applied retroactively for that period.
  • Landlords and tenants are encouraged to continue working together to develop payment plans where the tenant is struggling to pay rent due to the impacts of COVID-19. However, demonstration of a payment plan is no longer required to file an application to terminate a tenancy, nor to recover possession due to non-payment of rent.
    • If the landlord and tenant have already agreed to a payment plan, that plan remains in place for the agreed-to time period.

Support for Individuals and Families
To pay for basic expenses like food, clothing and shelter:

Job Loss Resources
Employment services, job loss support and job training:

Job Resource Centre
The Job Resource Centre is now open. 403-760-3311

Workers Compensation Board (WCB) Alberta
Most instances of COVID-19 are not work-related and do not need to be reported to WCB Alberta. However, there are a few exceptions.

Student Loan Deferral: 
All student loan repayments are deferred from March 30 until September 30, 2020. No payment will be required and interest will not accrue during this time. You do not need to apply for the repayment pause. This applies to student loan borrowers in good standing and those in collections. The Canada Student Loans Program is offering the same repayment and interest pause for Canada student loans.

Banff Registry
Banff Registry is open with limited hours. Visit for details


Banff Canmore Community Foundation
The Banff Canmore Community Foundation, along with the Wim & Nancy Pauw Foundation and the Rotary Club of Canmore, are coordinating emergency grant-making in the Bow Valley. This is open to registered charities and front-line organizations that are partnering with a registered charity or municipal agency are eligible to apply.

Municipal Support 

Food Resources

If you have urgent food needs and are unable to access or purchase food, please email or call 403.762.1251


Low Cost:

  • Bow Valley Good Food Box - a monthly box of fresh produce at an affordable price
  • What’s For Dinner Meal Hampers - healthy, affordable meal hampers delivered weekly with ingredients and recipes to cook at home.

Other Options:

  • Valbella Gourmet Foods - meat and produce food bags delivered to your door:
  • Edible Life - healthy, fresh prepared meals and sweets delivered to your door:
  • Nesters, open 8-9 a.m. for seniors only. Regular hours 8 a.m. - 8 p.m. Call or email for FREE deliveries. Contact before noon for same-day service:: 403.762.3663 or Visit Banff Nesters on Facebook or
  • IGA, open 7 a.m. - 8 a.m. only for seniors and immunocompromised. Regular hours 8 a.m. – 10 p.m. Deli has no cold or self-service. Call 403.762.5378.
  • The Organic Box - natural and organic groceries delivered to your door:
  • - online grocery shopping and delivery to your door:

Please continue to check the Bow Valley Food Alliance page for regular updates on food resources and local food delivery options at: 

Shelter / Housing


Protections are in place for residential and mobile homes site tenants facing financial hardship due to COVID-19:

  • Tenants are still obligated to pay rent. However, rent increases on residential properties or mobile home sites were not permitted during Alberta’s State of Public Health Emergency.
  • While scheduled rent increases can now take effect provided proper notice has been given to tenants, landlords cannot retroactively collect rental increases.
  • Late fees cannot be applied to late rent payments until after June 30 and cannot be collected retroactively for this time.
  • Landlords and tenants need to work together to develop payment plans while COVID-19 is being managed. Rent Payment Plans (PDF, 118 KB). This requirement remains in place until August 14, 2020 in keeping with the Ministerial Order.
  • Landlords cannot issue a termination notice or make an application to recover possession due to non-payment of rent, unless they can demonstrate attempts to create a reasonable rent payment plan, or that the tenant failed to comply with an established payment plan.

Alberta Works
Alberta Works can provide financial support and emergency accommodation to Citizens of Canada and Permanent Residents of Canada.

Alberta Works Canmore Office: 403-678-2363, 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

Alberta Works Emergency Income Support: 1-866-644-5135 after 4:30 p.m.

Banff YWCA

Supportive Housing Program
The Supportive Housing Program has been expanded by repurposing all Hotel inventory to support short- and long-term housing needs of residents and employers.
Emergency Shelter spaces are available for individuals and families experiencing domestic or sexual violence.

YWCA housing: 403.760.3200 9 a.m. - 9 p.m.

This service is available for foreign workers, Permanent Residents of Canada, and Canadian citizens.

Isolation Rooms
The YWCA is working with the Town of Banff to provide a limited number of safe isolation rooms for community residents. YWCA Isolation Room: or 403.762.1251.

Banff International Hostel and Samesun are working together to provide a housing solution to those who have been laid off and have lost their staff housing. 

Show your layoff notification at the hostel and you can reserve a bed for half the regular rate. This is similar, in most cases, to what the average daily rate for staff housing would be.

The hostels have all implemented numerous changes to their operating practices, such as halving occupancy and new sanitation practices, in order to improve physical distancing, and are working closely with AHS team members in this regard.

Samesun Banff: 403-762-4499

Banff International Hostel: 403-985-7744

Lake Louise Inn
Lake Louise Inn is offering accommodations short term for people in need, budget is flexible.
Tel (403) 630-0536

Bow Valley Home Finder Facebook Page
Local rental housing offered & requested

There is currently no government direction on reduced rental payments. Talk directly with your landlord about your personal situation. See the section in the Residential Tenancies Act on rental payments:

Mental Health

At some point in our lives we all have stressful times. We can be impacted by such things as financial pressures, unexpected difficulties, unemployment, or stressful situations such as the current outbreak of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19).

Remember, if you are struggling you are not alone. There are supports in place to help you.


How can I help my children cope?

I have anxiety, do you have an app I can use to help me?

Coping & Connection for Children & Families

COVID 19 & Your Mental Health

Help in Tough Times

Bow Valley Wellness, Recovery & Preparedess Facebook Page

Wellness Together Canada: Mental Health and Substance Use Support


Alberta Health Services Urgent 2-9 p.m. at Banff Mineral Springs Hospital

Alberta Health Services Non-Urgent at1-844-943-1500

Kelty’s Key is your source for online therapy. Get tailored treatment from an online therapist, or work on your own with our self-help resources. With Kelty’s Key, getting the help you need is flexible and accessible. We are publicly funded, making all our services 100% free. You may choose to work through the material on your own or contact Alberta Health Services to have someone work through the material with you:

Kids Help Phone: Confidential phone / text / live chat support for youth (ages 10-18) Call 1.800.668.6868 or Text CONNECT to 686868

The Crisis Text Line Alberta is a service available 24-7 that offers information, referrals and volunteer-led, text-based support for Albertans of all ages, by texting CONNECT to 741741

Support for Banff CRPS school kids using email or with face-to-face technology:

Banff Elementary (403) 762-4465

Banff Community High School (403) 762-4411

Mary Weighell, Right From the Start Coordinator,


Lynne Ratzke, Family/School Liaison Counsellor, and 1-403-609-0756

Myka Breymann, School Guidance Counsellor BCHS,

Allyson Van Impe, School & Family Wellness Worker BES/BCHS,

24/7 support from a registered nurse
Information about mental health supports, crisis intervention, referrals.
Mental Health Helpline 24/7: 1-877-303-2642

Counselling via phone or online for YWCA residents and to victims of domestic or sexual violence.
Seven days a week, 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.: 403.760.3200

AHS Text4Hope
Three months of daily Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)–based text messages written by mental health therapists. Helps people identify and adjust the negative thoughts, feelings and behaviours a pandemic might be expected to provoke. Through a set of daily messages, people receive advice and encouragement helpful in developing healthy personal coping skills and resiliency.
Text COVID19HOPE to 393939 to subscribe.

Talking to Your Kids About COVID-19

Addiction Helpline
Alberta’s Addiction Helpline is available 24-7 toll-free and offers confidential support for alcohol, tobacco, other drugs and problem gambling: 1-866-332-2322

AlbertaQuits Helpline
The AlbertaQuits helpline is FREE for all residents of Alberta, open 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. seven days per week. Call toll-free at 1-866-710-7848 to receive confidential, non-judgmental support from trained Quit Counsellors. They will help you deal with cravings and help you stay motivated. Translation services provided.

Free 1-Hour Webinar (On Demand)
Mental Health & Resilience During Covid-19.
Viewers will receive concrete guidance for building resilience and staying emotionally and mentally healthy during this stressful time, including insights for supporting children.

Alberta 211
Focused on building a comprehensive Information and Referral system accessible to all Albertans.

Big White Wall
An online community where Albertans can communicate with peers dealing with similar issues and get support 24-7 from addiction and mental health counsellors.

Supports early identification, assessment, and access to a number of e-mental health tools and apps and will be implemented in 10 communities – rural, remote and urban – across Alberta.

Immigration Support 

Information for Foreign Workers, Permanent Residents of Canada, and Refugees

People from all over the world are an important part of our community. Help is available for Foreign Workers, Permanent Residents of Canada, and Refugees.

Click here for news and updates for foreign workers and immigrants:

Click here for answers to common questions about immigration and covid-19:

Click here for information about services for foreign workers:

Click here for information about services for Permanent Residents of Canada:

Click here for information about how COVID-19 is affecting immigration, refugees, citizenship and passport services:

Alberta Immigrant Nominee Program

The Alberta Immigrant Nominee Program (AINP) is an economic immigration program that nominates people for permanent residence in Alberta. Nominees must have skills and abilities to fill job shortages in Alberta and be able to provide for their families. The program is run by both the Alberta government and the federal government.

Program nominees must meet the following federal checks to be eligible for a permanent resident visa:

  • medical
  • criminal
  • security

The AINP continues to accept and process applications, with temporary adjustments to some application and assessment processes. The program is working with Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) on the impact of COVID-19 on the permanent residence process. Please visit to learn more.

Senior Supports

The Town of Banff has a Senior Support Coordinator available for questions or concerns due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Please email or call Sue at 403.762.1253 if you or a senior you know requires extra support during these times.

Federal Government Supports for Seniors

The Government of Canada is providing seniors who qualify for Old Age Security (OAS) with a one-time, tax-free payment of $300. Those eligible for the Guaranteed Income Supplement (GIS) will get an extra $200. Should someone qualify for both OAS and GIS, they will receive $500. This payment is expected to arrive the week of July 6.


Information for Seniors (PDF)

Shopping Bus runs Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 9-1 p.m. Monday is the only day seniors are able to ride for banking ONLY, maximum of 4 per trip. Shopping pick-up and delivery for IGA is available by calling 403.762.1251 the day prior to shopping. Mail pick-up and delivery is available as well by calling 403.762.1251.

Meals on Wheels meal service still available Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. Cost is $7.50. Call Alberta Health Services to get a referral at 403.762.2990.

Free taxi passes are available for medical purposes. Email or call Sue at 403.762.1253 to get one.

Gourlay’s, IGA and Rexall have a taxi pass to deliver prescriptions free to seniors within the Town of Banff.

Nester’s is offering free shipping and delivery service for groceries. Call 403.762.3663.

Home Care health care providers delivering services in your home. Call 403.762.2990 for more information.

To ensure that certain groups who may be vulnerable to the impacts of COVID-19 have the support they need, the Government is proposing targeted help by reducing required minimum withdrawals from Registered Retirement Income Funds (RRIFs) by 25% for 2020, in recognition of volatile market conditions and their impact on many seniors’ retirement savings.

This will provide flexibility to seniors who are concerned that they may be required to liquidate their RRIF assets to meet minimum withdrawal requirements. Similar rules would apply to individuals receiving variable benefit payments under a defined contribution Registered Pension Plan.

Children, Youth and Families

When you have no control over a stressful situation like a pandemic or emergency, having a plan and being emotionally prepared can help you stay calm. Below are some helpful tips: 


Children & Youth Programs available from the Town of Banff at

Canadian Rockies Public Schools - for Banff school information

How to support your kids 

Take Care of Yourself

If you can stay calm about COVID-19, this will help your child. Show them how to cope with stress in a healthy way. Take breaks, get lots of sleep, exercise and eat well. Phone/skype friends and family. Limit how much time you spend watching the news and social media and spend that time doing something you enjoy (e.g., listen to music, dance, go for a walk, cook together).

Let children talk about their feelings

Ask your children how they feel about COVID-19 (and being away from their friends/school). Let them know it’s okay if they feel upset. Reassure them they are safe. They will likely not get sick and there are lots of adults working hard to help keep your family safe.

Take care of your family and community’s health

It’s best to not be physically close to many other people right now. Teach your children about good handwashing and how to cover a sneeze or cough with their elbow.

Try to have a routine

Children feel more secure with a routine. While they can’t play with lots of other children right now, make time for you to play, learn, and relax with them each day.

Try to have a routine

Children feel more secure with a routine. While they can’t play with lots of other children right now but make time for your them to play, learn, and relax each day.

Looking for helpers

It’s important for children to know that people are helping each other with acts of kindness. Share stories of health workers, scientists and people in your community who are helping.

Reach out for support if you need it

Help Line: The Mental Health Help Line is available 24/7 to provide advice and referrals to community supports near you: 1-877-303-2642

Kids Help Phone: Confidential phone/text support and articles to support children/youth: 1.800.668.6868 or

Banff Community Services: email us at or call for information 403.762.1251

Bow Valley’s Family Resource Network

The Bow Valley Family Resource Network has received provincial funding to serve as a Family Resource Network (FRN).

FRNs deliver prevention and early intervention services and supports for families with children aged 0 - 18 through a provincial network of community-based service providers. Services provided through the FRN in the Town of Banff will have a focus on education, building caregiver capacity and coordinating social connection and wellbeing activities for families in collaboration with others.

During this time, programs and services will take place by phone, email and online. Visit for information specific to Banff FRN programming and services, and follow Bow Valley Family Resource Network on Facebook for updates on what’s happening for families in the Bow Valley.

More Resources:

How to stay active if you are staying at home  

Playing outside during COVID 

Balancing screen time

Helpful tools to determine age-appropriate media use

Frequently Asked Questions on COVID-19 for Young Children and Students – more than 4,000 digital resources aligned with Alberta’s K-12 curriculum.

My Child’s Learning: A Parent Resource - provides parents with information specific to each grade level

Provincial Education Helpline

Recognizing that many families have questions about at-home learning, a provincial education helpline is now available to parents. The intent is to provide advice to families, particularly to parents of children with disabilities, who have questions about their child’s educational program now that the traditional delivery process has changed.

Parents can reach the helpline by calling 780-422-6548 (toll-free by dialing 310-0000, followed by the 10-digit phone number) or by emailing

Transportation Updates


Flight Updates for YYC:

Emergency Fund Information for Canadians Returning Home:


To follow is the list of transportation providers from Lake Louise, Banff or Canmore to Calgary International Airport, and Jasper to Edmonton International Airport.

Banff Airporter
Suspended. If enough interest via individual e-mails may add one or two runs as weeks progress.

Brewster Express 

Mountain Parks Transportation
Airport Trips

Jasper to Edmonton and Calgary


Discover Banff Tours
1 877-565-9372

Ambassador Limo (Checker Group) 
Private Transfer - options available up to 24 max group or individuals

AM PM Banff
(403) 475-5555 $250 + tip and tax (1-3 people)

Banff Taxi
$360 to Calgary Airport 403.762.0000 or

Car rental is still open in Cascade Shops
Open 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. Mon-Sat
9 a.m.-12 p.m. Sundays


It is important to remain physically, mentally and spiritually active. It is also our responsibility to keep ourselves and others safe. Please follow the guidelines provided by Alberta Health Services while recreating in and around Town and within your homes. Information can be found at

The Town of Banff Recreation team has put together a list of things we can all do to help keep active during this time.

Banff Library
Online membership registration, pick-up and home delivery services, virtual programs and resources, and more!

Free video and audio books for children


Art with Mindy
Online art Classes

Arts Place
Offering online Dance Party, Live Music and Theatre and Arts classes

Bow Valley Basics                        
Arts Supplies Deliveries

Keep Calm and Uke on with Heather Jean Jordan            
Online Ukulele Instruction


St George-in-the-Pines
Sunday Mass online

St. Mary’s Church                        
Online Services. Now open

Banff Park Church
Now open
Call 403-762-3225 or email


Fit by Fiona                                    
Online Fitness Classes

Banff Yoga Practice                      
Online Yoga & Meditation    

Trish Tutton                                  
Online Yoga & Meditation

The Canmore Yoga Lounge          
Online Yoga & Meditation

Soundbath Meditation with Caroline Dalton

Banff Mountain Film Festival Films 

Crafts, Tech & Media, Learning, Stories, Snacks and Treats             

Indoor activities for ages 3 - 15

Canada’s National Ballet School
Learn to dance for all ages (kids to seniors) with the National Ballet School

Online workouts
With option of sitting to participate  

Post Office

The Banff Post Office has made changes to better serve customers, while maintaining health protocols for staff and customers during the COVID-19 crisis.

  • People with mail boxes are encouraged to collect mail in non-peak hours: between 5 p.m. and 11 p.m.
  • 9 a.m. to 10 a.m. Monday to Friday is dedicated to seniors and individuals with mobility challenges.
  • Other customers are asked to not arrive or line up before 10 a.m., Monday to Friday
  • Non-essential parcel delivery through Canada Post is discouraged at this time.

If your mail comes general delivery (no mail box), collect your mail on the day that corresponds with your last name:

  • If your last name begins with the letters A to F – collect general delivery mail on Monday or Wednesday
  • If your last name begins with the letters G to M – collect general delivery mail on Tuesday or Friday 
  • If your last name begins with the letters N to Z – collect general delivery mail on Thursday or Saturday 

These changes will reduce lines and enhance the ability for everyone to maintain physical distancing measures.

Box Lobby Hours
Sunday to Saturday 6 a.m. - 11 p.m.

The Post Office is classified as an essential service. They will not be returning any parcels or mail at this time. The Post Office is asking you to wait to collect non-essential items so essential items like medical supplies and financial documents can be delivered.

Volunteer Opportunities, Donations and Recognition Programs

Alberta Cares Connector

While physical distancing and gathering restrictions are in place, there is still a need for healthy volunteers to help those in need with countless opportunities to do so. The Alberta Cares Connector embraces the Alberta spirit of supporting the vulnerable by offering assistance, skills and time to those who need it most.

Volunteer opportunities include:

  • Volunteering at food banks.
  • Sewing masks or scrub bags for front-line health-care workers.
  • Providing meals for essential service workers, like truckers.
  • Picking up groceries for those unable to leave their homes.
  • Packing and delivering essential needs for vulnerable Albertans.
  • Donating blood through
  • Donating items to shelters in need.
  • Reaching out to seniors through positive messages or phone calls.

Volunteers and volunteer organizations must follow all necessary precautions to prevent the spread of COVID-19 to protect themselves and those they help. More information on safety and physical distancing guidelines can be found at

Volunteer Matching Supports

211 Alberta offers a comprehensive resource and referral network that can assist in finding volunteer opportunities in your community:

  • offers 24/7 service
  • can translate in 170+ languages
  • call or text 2-1-1 for assistance

If your organization requires volunteers, you can:

  • share opportunities through the Alberta Cares Connector
  • consider engaging a virtual volunteer to post your volunteer opportunities on the Alberta Cares Connector

Volunteer Opportunities for Health Care Workers

If you are an Alberta Health Services professional able to volunteer in the fight against COVID-19, please email If you are an external physician, please contact

Donate Health Equipment and Services

To donate health equipment or services, contact

Northern Lights Volunteer Recognition Program

The Alberta Northern Lights Volunteer Awards honour everyday heroes as the province responds to the COVID-19 pandemic. The honourees are nominated by fellow Albertans and selected for profiling on the program’s website and social media.

There are no requirements for hours of service, and any individual or group who helps out in their community is eligible for an award. The nomination submission requests a brief story about the nominee’s contribution. Nominations will be accepted online on an ongoing basis.

Make a Financial Donation

Financial donations can be made to the Banff Mineral Springs Hospital via and to Alberta Health Services at

Mask Resources for the Community

Everyone is encouraged to wear masks or face coverings in crowded public paces. While they do not protect you from transmission, they do help protect those around you. They are another way to prevent respiratory droplets from contaminating other people or surfaces. Masks and face coverings should only be used in addition to other prevention steps. Medical masks, including N95 masks and surgical or procedure masks, should be kept for health care workers and others providing direct care to COVID-19 patients.

If you choose to use a non-medical face mask:

Masks (medical and non-medical) can be purchased from:

  • Residents can get a supply of free masks (16 per package) from the Town Hall, 110 Bear Street
  • Banff Public Library (Free), 101 Bear Street
  • Cabin 108, 108 Banff Ave
  • Last Temptation Vintage, 229 Bear St
  • Sideshow, 111 Banff Ave
  • Rocky Mountain Gifts, 225 Banff Ave 
  • The Summit, 225 Banff Ave 
  • Mountain Legends, 221 Banff Ave 
  • The Thunderbird, 215 Banff Ave 
  • Totem Souvenirs, 215 Banff Ave 
  • The Bare Moose, 112B Banff Ave 
  • Duck Duck Moose, 112A Banff Ave 
  • Banff Western Outfitters, 103 Banff Ave 
  • Just Next Door, 103 Banff Ave 
  • Standish Home Hardware 223 Bear Street
  • A Bit of Banff ( 120 Banff Ave. 
  • Whiskey Jacks ( 101 Banff Ave.
  • Rude Boys and Rude Girls Snowboard and Skateboard Shops, 205 Caribou St. 403-762-8211
  • Nester’s Market, 122 Bear Street
  • Gourlay’s Pharmacy, 220 Bear Street
  • Banff Asian Market, Wolf and Bear Mall, 403.985.0028
  • Banff Farmers Market (Wednesdays in Central Park)
  • Kimono Moe: 
  • Bear Minimum, Main St Canmore. Handmade reusable masks
  • Napa Canmore 
    N95 masks
  • Charisma Collectibles, 821 8 St, Canmore 
  • Canmore Mask Makers,
  • Louise Hudson
    Free for essential workers, $5 donation for others
    “sports themed”
  • Aorbis (Commercial supplies, masks in min. 100 pack)
  • Swish (Located in Calgary. Commercial clients will take precedence, but will sell to public if stock is available)
    Fed Ferreiro
    Surgical masks
  • Great Canadian Dollar Store
    N95 face masks, Blue face masks, Cloth face masks - cotton with a non-woven liner stitched inside
  • Element Personal Care Inc. 
    Kevin W.
    Non-surgical masks
  • Universal Workwear (Located in Calgary. Will sell to public)
    Shawn / Eleanor
    Surgical masks