Due to COVID-19 the Sally Borden Building is closed until further notice.
Banff Centre Swimming Programs
The Sally Borden Building is home to a 25-metre pool, hot tub, wading pool and steam room. Lifejackets are provided at no charge. You can rent towels, purchase swim diapers and other aquatic accessories. Public swimming is supported in part by the Town of Banff. For more on swimming programs, call 403.762.6450 or visit banffcentre.ca/aquatics.
Hours of Operation
6 a.m. — 10 p.m. | Monday — Friday
7 a.m. — 10 p.m. | Saturday — Sunday
7 a.m. — 10 p.m. | Holidays
Public Swimming with Lifeguard on Duty
Check banffcentre.ca/aquatics for an up-to-date schedule of life-guarded public swims.
Drop-in Public Swimming Rates
FREE | Child 0 — 4
$3.50 | Youth 5 — 15
$5.50 | Adults 16 — 59
$3.50 | Adults 60+
Free swimming on the last Sunday of every month from 1-4 p.m.
You can also purchase a Sally Borden membership or pay a non-membership day rate to gain access to the pool, climbing wall and fitness centre.
If you are unsure about your swimming ability, book an assessment to determine the appropriate lesson level for yourself or your child. Please call the Sally Borden aquatics coordinator at 403.762.6451.
Not sure about group lessons? Get an individualized approach to learning how to swim and honing your abilities with private and semi-private lessons. For more information or to book a private lesson, call the Sally Borden aquatics coordinator at 403.762.6451.
Banff Centre’s Sally Borden Fitness and Recreation offers swimming lessons for all ages and abilities. Red Cross lessons for children are based on research, proven excellence in teaching and age appropriate learning through games and songs. The focus is on safety and comfort while creating a love of aquatic environments. For up-to-date swim lesson programming, descriptions and registration dates, visit banffcentre.ca/aquatics. Red Cross swim levels, from pre-school to Swim Kids Level 10 vary depending on age, skill proficiency, previous experience and readiness. Programs are broken down into Swim Preschool (animals) and Swim Kids (numbers).
Red Cross Swim Preschool
Preschoolers progress through the lower levels based on participation and age. Preschoolers aged 3 – 6 move through the upper levels based on skill evaluation.
- Starfish 4 – 12 months (with caregivers). Work on getting wet, buoyancy, movement, front, back and vertical position in the water, shallow entries and exits.
- Duck age 2 (with caregivers). Work on rhythmic breathing, movement, forward and back float with recovery, and shallow water entries and exits.
- Sea Turtle ages 2 – 3 (with caregivers). Work on submersion, front and back floats and glides, jumping into water (assisted), kicking, and front swim.
- Sea Otter ages 3 – 5. Work on front and back floats and glides, kicking with buoyant object, and will be able to swim one metre.
- Salamander ages 3 – 5 (passed Sea Otter). Work on improving floats, jumping into chest deep water unassisted, kicking and gliding on front and back, and will be able to swim two metres.
- Sun Fish ages 3 – 6 (passed Salamander). Work on kicking and can glide on their front/back, enter deep water, float in deep water, swim with a personal floatation device (PFD), and swim five metres.
- Crocodile ages 3 – 6 (passed Sun Fish). Development of front/back glides with kick, front/back swim, jumping into deep water, swim with a PFD in deep water, swim 10 metres.
- Whale ages 3 – 6 (passed Crocodile). Increased distance of front/back glides with kick, increased distance front/back swim, learn the sitting dive, swim 15 metres continuously
Red Cross Swim Kids
The minimum age is 5 years old, and successful completion of the previous level is required.
- Level 1 Develop front and back floats, front and back glides, flutter kick (assisted), shallow water entries and exits, and swim five metres.
- Level 2 Learn front and back glide with flutter kick, develop front swim, complete deep-water activities (assisted), and swim 10 metres continuously.
- Level 3 Increase distance on front and back glides with flutter kick, perform unassisted flutter kick, wear a personal floatation device in deep water, float in deep water, and swim 15 metres continuously.
- Level 4 Learn back swim with shoulder roll and front crawl (10m), work on back flutter kick, perform kneeling dive, introduction to sculling, and swim 25 metres continuously.
- Level 5 Develop front crawl (15m), learn back crawl (15m) and whip kick on back, learn stride dive and treading water, perform head-first sculling on back, and swim 50 metres continuously.
- Level 6 Front and back crawl (25m), learn elementary back stroke (15m), learn dolphin kick, tread water in deep water, perform front dive, and swim 75 metres continuously.
- Level 7 Front and back crawl (50m), elementary back stroke (25m), learn front scull, whip kick on front, and dolphin kick, learn stride entry, and swim 150 metres continuously.
- Level 8, 9 & 10 Front and back crawl (75 – 100m), elementary back stroke (25 – 50m), learn breast stroke (15 – 50m), sidestroke (25m), tread water, feet-first surface, head-first surface dive with underwater swim, standing shallow dive, perform dolphin kick, and swim 300 – 500 metres continuously.