Cannabis Retail in Banff
Storefront Retail in Banff
Banff Town Council approved a Land Use Bylaw amendment to allow storefront cannabis retail as a Discretionary Use in the Downtown Land Use District. The amended bylaw aligns with provincial restrictions, such as requiring that any storefront retail must be 100 metres away from a health facility or school. In addition, specific requirements for retail operations in Banff include:
- retail stores must be 100 metres away from a daycare or playground,
- retail stores must be 30 metres apart from each other (to avoid clusters of stores), and
- retail stores cannot have a window or windows facing onto a sidewalk or lane (in alignment with AGLC requirements).
In addition to provincial licences, in order to operate Storefront Cannabis Retail in Banff, a Development Permit for a change of use is required along with a valid Business Licence. For internal building changes, a Building Permit may also be required.
- Applications will not be accepted prior to November 1, 2018.
- Applications must be submitted in person at Banff Town Hall, 110 Bear Street, with the Development Permit Application Fee.
- The ‘first wave’ of applications must be submitted between November 1, 2018 and November 30, 2018.
- Applications received after November 30, 2018, will not be processed until after the first wave of applications are processed.
- Review of applications for completeness will take place after November 30
The Government of Alberta’s legislation identifies additional restrictions and authorizes the Alberta Gaming and Liquor Commission (AGLC) to carry out oversight and compliance functions as well as manage the distribution of cannabis.
- will be the only authority to sell cannabis online in Alberta
- will provide permits to privately owned and operated cannabis stores (through AGLC)
- set offences related to youth possession and public consumption
- Cannabis Use in BanffBackground information – Banff bylaws
- February 26, 2019: The Municipal Planning Commission approved five Change of Use applications for Storefront Cannabis Retail. Agenda Package (PDF)
- October 22, 2018: Council approved Option 1 for Storefront Cannabis Retail Business License Fees and Charges, mirroring business licence fees of similar complexity and scope. Storefront Cannabis Retail – Options for Business License Fees and Charges (PDF)
- September 10, 2018: Council approved Bylaw 421, a land use bylaw amending bylaw (PDF) that will allow store front cannabis retails shops as a discretionary use in the downtown district.
- July 16, 2018: Council gave first reading to Bylaw 421 – Land Use Bylaw Amending Bylaw - Storefront Cannabis Retail, and set a Public Hearing for Monday, August 20, 2018 at noon at Banff Town Hall, 110 Bear Street.
- May 14, 2018: Report to Governance and Finance Committee on Changes to Legislation Regarding Cannabis (PDF). Includes results of Town of Banff public survey.
- February 26, 2018: Report to council on Bylaw 420 – Land Use Bylaw Amending Bylaw – Cannabis and Cannabis Related Business Definitions (PDF)
- November 27, 2017: Report to council on Bylaw 420 – Land Use Bylaw Amending Bylaw – Cannabis and Cannabis Related Businesses Definitions (PDF)