Council policies mandate various functions and services of the Town of Banff and where necessary, establish the procedure by which the functions are performed, and services are delivered. Please email the Municipal Clerk send any questions regarding the Council policies.
Municipal Governance & Administration
- Municipal Policy Development - C1000 (PDF)
Establishes a consistent approach and philosophy for the development and approval of Town of Banff policies.
- Flag Protocol C1001 (PDF)
Protocol for flying municipal flags at half-mast.
- Non-Proclamation C1002 (PDF)
Standard for formal council endorsement of events, messages, interests or activities.
- Corporate Gifts from the Town of Banff C1003 (PDF)
Provides guidelines for corporate gift giving by defining when a gift is appropriate and/or desirable, by providing recommended price ranges for gifts given in various circumstances, and by providing criteria to ensure gifts are consistently identified as being from the Town of Banff.
- Signing Authority C1004 (PDF)
Clarification of roles, responsibilities and signing authority for cheques, agreements, other negotiable instruments and other municipal documents.
- Council Remuneration C1005 (PDF)
Guidelines for the remuneration and benefits available to a member of council and expenses that will be assumed by the municipality when carrying out their official duties.
Parameters on the acceptance of gifts by council members.
- Committee Appointments C019-1 (PDF)
Procedures for committee membership application, appointment, operation and member recognition.
- Sponsorship C120 (PDF)
Creating an authorized environment for entering into sponsorship agreement and partnership.
HR & Employees
- Administration of Employee Housing C2000 (PDF)
Process for the administration, inventory control, maintenance and rental rate review that supports recruitment and retention of employees at the Town of Banff.
- Employee Compensation and Benefits C2001
Establishes a consistent process for the administration and allocation of compensation and benefits costs, while supporting recruitment and retention of employees.
- Housing Incentive Purchase Program C2003 (PDF)
Establishes a local, first-time housing purchase incentive for Town of Banff employees.
- Corporate Gifts from the Town of Banff C053 (PDF)
Guidelines for giving gifts on behalf of the Town to individuals and groups from outside the organization as well as to employees.
- Travel Expenses C2002 (PDF)
Guidelines for employees and council members authorized to travel on Town of Banff business.
Municipal Planning & Development
- Accessory Dwellings C111 (PDF)
Guidelines for enhancing the supply and mix of affordable housing options.
- Housing C012 (PDF)
Guiding principles and procedures to encourage the creation of affordable housing for residents of Banff, particularly with respect to commercial development.
- Parking Cash-in-Lieu C017 (PDF)
Standards for calculation of cash-in-lieu for parking requirements for renovation, redevelopment and development.
- Environmental Stewardship Policy C093 (PDF)
Adoption of the Environmental Stewardship Policy for the Town of Banff.
- Construction Site Hoarding Policy C3000 (PDF)
The purpose of this policy is to assist property owners and lessees, builders, developers and general contractors in understanding the expectations of the Town of Banff regarding the appearance of construction site hoarding.
- Payment Acceptance C4000
Provides directions on the forms of payments accepted by the Town and set limits by payment type.
- Investment of Surplus Funds C032 (PDF)
Procedure for investing municipal surplus funds.
- Purchasing C099 (PDF)
Guidelines for municipal purchasing of goods & services.
- Tangible Capital Assets C110 (PDF)
Guidelines and procedures for recording, tracking and accounting for tangible capital assets.
- Revenue Leasing and Licensing C117 (PDF)
Guidelines to be followed by employees when leasing or licensing Town-owned property.
Public Places & Events
- Parade C5000 (PDF)
Guidelines for safety of parade participants and audience.
- Festivals and Special Event C5001 (PDF)
Guidelines for the standards, frequency, and expectations for festivals and events in Banff.
- Banff Bench Program C5002 (PDF)
Guidelines for the consistent decision making process related to the acceptance, placement and long-term maintenance of bench donations and dedications in Town owned public places.
- Heritage Resource C5003 (PDF)
A strategic framework to support the preservation and commemoration of heritage sites in Banff.
- Sidewalk Seating/Cafe C7005 (PDF)
Guidelines for the design standards and approval process for the development of and operation of sidewalk seating/cafe areas.
- Outdoor Merchandise Display C121 (PDF)
Guidelines for the minimum design standard and approval process for outdoor merchandise display areas.
- Public Art C103 (PDF)
Procedures to site, acquire, commission and facilitate art for public spaces.
- Street Pole and Banner C101 (PDF)
Guidelines for design, approval, installation and maintenance of street pole banners.
Fleet, Equipment & Materials Management
- Green Fleet C6000 (PDF)
Establishes guidelines to reduce the fuel consumption of the fleet.
- Establishes guidelines the disposal of surplus or obsolete Fixed Assets.
Municipal Infrastructure, Facilities & Property Management & Use
- Snow and Ice Management C108-1 (PDF)
Priorities and levels of service for sanding, plowing and snow removal.
- Municipal Sustainable Building C106 (PDF)
Standards for design, construction and operation of municipal buildings.
- Street Lighting C119 (PDF)
Establishment of an overall lighting plan for the Town, including performance standards and general design standards for new lighting equipment.
- Naming of Parks and Recreation Facilities C013 (PDF)
Criteria and process for naming parks and recreation facilities.
- Pets on Municipal Property C7000 (PDF)
Clarifies under what conditions dogs or other pets may be allowed in municipal buildings and facilities.
- Sidewalk Inspection and Repair C7001 (PDF)
Establishes priorities and levels of service for sidewalk inspection and repair.
- Trails Lighting C7002 (PDF)
Establishes standards for the lighting of trails in the Town of Banff
- Public Use of Municipal Facilities C7003 (PDF)
Ensures that Town facilities are operated in a fiscally responsible manner and ensures that the allocation of the facilities is done in a fair and equitable manner.
Information Infrastructure, Governance & Management
- Body Worn Cameras C8000 (PDF)
Guides employees in the use of body worn cameras in a way that balances the maximum benefits of the technology without compromising the privacy rights of the public and employees.
Quality Management Plans
- Fire Discipline Uniform Quality Management Plan C105 (PDF)
Administration of the Safety Codes Act – Fire Discipline.
- Quality Management Plan C082 (PDF)
Administration of the Safety Codes Act – Building Discipline Street and Public Place Use.